TIMELINE: 2011 – CURRENT
PLATFORM: Feature Film
GENRE: Contemporary Sci-Fi
CLIENT: In-House IP w/ HULO FILMS
LOGLINE: Sheltered in a remote orphanage, a disabled teen (JACOB PRICE – 16) has terrifying visions of a technological apocalypse. Little does he realize that the real battle will be waged within his very cells…and that the future of the human race will be HIS to decide.
With an original short story treatment, multi-stage development financing from Telefilm Canada and Saskfilm was secured for this teen sci-fi high concept. Reminiscent of ‘thinking man’ cult hits including The Lawnmower Man, The Matrix, and Chronicle, three (3) screenplay drafts have been successfully completed and reviewed by major distributors. You can view the digital pitch package here, which includes some sweet concept art by David Cameron Sloan. UPDATE: Or check out the motion-comic proof-of-concept right here!
TIMELINE: Winter 2010 and 2011
GENRE: Promotional Video
CLIENT: Sinbi Muay Thai
During two winter writing retreats to southern Thailand, I was enlisted by the fine folks at this AAA Thai kickboxing academy to build some buzz for their growing business. With the extremely limited resources at our disposal, the strategy quickly evolved into a gritty ‘home video’ treatment that would give viewers a sense of the personal experience of training overseas, as opposed to a typically slick promo vid.
The first instalment in the series – entitled Fists, Feet, and Friendship – has since been shared on a host of travel and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) forums, and I’ve had the unique pleasure of meeting many of those who were inspired to make the pilgrimage because of the work.
TIMELINE: 2010 – 2011
PLATFORM(S): Web, Videogame
GENRE: Animated Children’s content (stop-motion)
CLIENT: Karma Film
I was contracted to implement a ground-floor imagining of the design, interactive narrative, production management, and creative direction for a multi-pronged digital experience for this beloved Gemini Award-winning stop-motion animated children’s series.
- Designed user experience and overall media campaign strategy
- Produced/directed all in-studio production, technical assets, and audio/visual contributions
- Steered marketing strategy and ensured overall project timeline/budget adherence
- Secured additional national funding for ‘PHASE 2’ of the web experience: a Mariokart-inspired videogame, featuring hundreds of unique series characters and assets.
- Designed, produced and directed the game – Wapos Racerz – to completion with my recommended development team.
- Consulted on production and design for the Wapos Bay iPAD experience, now available!
Experience the heart-warming world of Wapos Bay HERE. (Flash required)
PLATFORM(S): TV, Web, Mobile
GENRE: Reality TV / Competition
CLIENT: In-House IP
The Path is a gripping and inspirational unscripted adventure show, shot over 40 (+/-) days of foot-travel in exotic foreign locales. Each season will be set in a different location and consist of 13 one-hour episodes, compressing approximately three days of real-time travel per ‘chapter’. At the end of each chapter (through game mechanics explained below), one ‘Quester’ will be eliminated – leading up to an emotional season finale where the last two contestants reach the end of the journey.
Current technology will allow for a ‘documentary-style’ shoot and modest crew armed with affordable and lightweight 1080p HD cameras and dramatic remote-controlled aerial/chase-cams. Additionally, Questers may record additional broadcast-worthy journals/confessionals on GPS smartphones (sponsor dependent – as required). This tech will allow for compelling graphics displays as we track them in ‘real-time’.
Our Questers will be assembled through a nation-wide cross-media ‘casting call’ campaign; hopefuls will submit applications and video auditions online, and the public can vote to determine the top 50. This will serve the dual purpose of branding/promoting the show in advance, and fostering a sense of ‘investment’ and emotional involvement in the participants. Through extensive interviews and personal/physical evaluations, the producers will then whittle down to 15 finalists that possess an ideal blend of: diversity (age, race, sex, culture), likeability (personality, charm, character, values), ‘desire’ (motivations for participating), and dramatic potential (emotion, back-story, health, etc).
‘The Path’: Series Bible (PDF Download – Copyright 2009 )
TIMELINE: 2008 – 2010
PLATFORM(S): Web, Feature Film
GENRE: Drama / Romance / Inspirational
CLIENT: In-House IP
With The Way, I combined personal journals and historical research to create the screenplay, campaign design, and marketing strategy for an original romantic-drama feature film set on the famed Spanish pilgrimage trail: Santiago De Compostella.
For a complete background on the project, including interactive ‘tour’ (FLASH required), shooting specs, budget, and marketing strategy, CLICK HERE.
TIMELINE: Fall 2007 – Summer 2008
PLATFORM(S): Web, Mobile
GENRE: Animation / Motion Comic
CLIENT: Universal Pictures (Digital)
Contracted to produce and direct two (2) animated motion comic shorts for Universal Pictures and Dark Horse Entertainment in support of director Guillermo Del Toro‟s $80M comic book fantasy sequel.
- Team hiring, management, budget, and scheduling
- Overall creative direction and consulting
- Sound design and music direction
- Casting and ADR
SAMPLE 1: The Prologue
PLATFORM(S): Web, Mobile
GENRE: Animation / Motion Comic
CLIENT: Warner Premiere (WB)
Contracted to helm 4 animated short films for Warner Bros and Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment to promote the $200M sci-fi feature online, and support the mobile and home video campaigns.
- Overall creative direction/consulting
- Sound Design and Soundtrack direction
- Casting and ADR Direction
- Worked within tight schedules, budgets, and production parameters set out by partners at The Sequence Group.
PLATFORM(S): Web, TV/Film Treatment
GENRE: Animation (sci-fi fantasy)
CLIENT: Illuminated LLC
Narrative and character consultation for an original animated IP being designed for transmedia implementation on web, mobile, TV, and feature film platforms. Targeted as an international co-production, with a core demographic similar to that of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Collaborating with heavy-hitter creatives from the Pod Collective, ConceptArt.org, and GNN, I was tasked with crafting the original character and multi-season outlines, episodic structure, and streamlined animated film narrative arc.
CLICK HERE FOR TRAILER and more info.
Lead producer and creative director of an original IP foray into interactive graphic literature and an award-winning international DVD set (FOX). Hands-on direction and realisation of brand identity, style, music/audio design, and multi-platform execution. Concept creation, character development, plot advancement, dialogue, and cinematic sensibilities were harnessed to create a revolutionary experience on the web. Grassroots marketing strategy reached millions worldwide, and included features in WIRED Magazine, USA TODAY, The GUARDIAN, CBC, G4, CNN, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, and many more.
- 2010 LIVE ACTION PITCH
- 2007 WORLDWIDE DVD RELEASE from FOX Home Entertainment:
- 2006 CANADIAN NEW MEDIA AWARDS : (Producer of the Year)
- 2005 HORIZON INTERACTIVE AWARDS: (BEST OF SHOW)
- 2003 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: Audience Award Winner
- 2002 PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS: FlashForward, NET FESTIVAL BRAZIL: FLASH IN THE CAN
- 2000-CURRENT: BROKEN SAINTS WEBSITE
- Contracted to create 5 distinct personalities/speech-styles for this million+ selling videogame franchise
- Thousands of lines of dialogue created, and recorded by the likes of Billy Zane, Macy Gray, and Oliver Platt.
- Consulted to improve execution of speech within the software’s design parameters.
- Created and adapted near 10000 lines of Japanese period dialogue for the localized version of Koei’s hit warfare sim in the style of Akira Kurosawa’s RAN.
- Casting, voice direction, scene interpretation, and on-the-fly rewrites for 3 hours+ of cutscenes.
- Full research of the historical period (feudal Japan) for the sake of atmosphere and accuracy.
- Crafted an original storyline for this new gaming franchise, based upon established film mythology.
- Designed multiple cinema sequences, scripted hundreds of lines of dialogue and created 7 original characters.
- Made alterations/improvements to game design (including the creation of new missions) within platform/game engine/development parameters (PSX and PS2)
NEED FOR SPEED (multiple)
- design, script-writing, cinema sequences, voice direction, marketing consults, and quality assurance on multiple titles in this renowned gaming franchise.