Posts from the ‘Fundraising’ Category
July 31, 2014
(by Brooke Burgess)
Hey, blog-friends! I just realized that the last post was over a month ago, so it’s high time to send a ping from this quiet corner of the globe. We’ll keep the vast swaths of text to a minimum this time, and go oldschool, bullet-point, link-o-rama on your eyeholes:
- the PUBSLUSH crowdfunding campaign for Book 2 in The Shadowland Saga just hit its trigger minimum with 3 days left! Big thanks to the generous folks who chipped in the kitty (heh). Oh, and you’ve still got time to help out, snarf exclusives, and support children’s literacy while you’re at it :)
- Meawhile, The Cat’s Maw just cracked 50K chapter reads and 1000 upvotes on WATTPAD. The story’s about 3/5 revealed (I just posted Chapter XIII: Of Blood and Basements), so feel free to che-che-check it!
- Finishing up a hush-hush ‘adult’ novella that might make you blush a shade…or fifty. Pen-name in full effect on this one, but it won’t be Marquis De Sade-style torture to sleuth it out…
- Annnnd…with illustrations beginning to pop-up for the first book’s interior, I’ve bitten the proverbial bullet and joined the ranks of PINTEREST weirdness. Just getting the hang o’ things, but expect to see stuff from cult flicks and TV, comics, books…oh…and kitties!!! :D
- In a stalky mood? I lurk ‘n’ post near-daily on Crackbook and Twitter — also getting a wee bit GIF-happy (with admittedly emo short-story and poetry snippets) on Tumblr. Don’t be a (virtual) stranger!
- Rumblings of ‘movement’ on a genre script that’s been in dev for a while. Perhaps a director announcement soon…?
- With another COMICON in the (funny) books, I couldn’t help but have some YouTube flashbacks.
All for now, folks. Hope you’re having suitably brilliant and beautiful summers, no matter where on Earth the sun may find you.
June 19, 2014
(by Brooke Burgess) With a personal ‘patronage drive’ around my birthday, the funding for Book 1 in the new children’s fantasy series — The Shadowland Saga — was raised in less than 10 DAYS! Now, it’s time to sound the call beyond my walls and reach out to lovers of literature, classic children’s stories, and…CATS! Enter PUBSLUSH — the ‘Kickstarter’ for books:
- I’ll be raising all costs (layout, illustration, editing, audio, etc) for BOOK 2, and beyond!
- There will be more REWARDS for contributions, including $10 and $25 levels!
- You’ll be able to contribute with SECURE VISA/MC donations!
- 5% of every $ goes to Pubslush’s CHILDREN’S LITERACY charity!
- See DAILY TRACKING for goals, rewards, and compaign updates!
- ‘Stretch Goals’ for localized versions, and much, much more!
- Easy SHARING to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and all your social media!
At the very least, please take a few minutes to check out the campaign page. It’s got fresh content — project background, an interview, even a live chapter sample! — and, by clicking ‘I’M INTERESTED!’, you help build buzz on their main hub for the project.
And…for all of you who sent such generous and supportive gifts my way already?
Here’s a sassy Q&A follow-up, just for you <3
June 2, 2014
(by Brooke Burgess)
Q: What’s this all ABOUT?
Like the video says – I’m seeking support for my 5-book middle grade (8-12yrs) contemporary children’s fantasy series: The Shadowland Saga.
Q: What’s the quick and dirty way to donate?
PAYPAL or INTERAC e-PAYMENT (for Canucks) to my mail:
Q: Why not a formal KICKSTARTER/Indiegogo?
Scope. The stats show that the formal crowd-funding campaigns that tend to be the most successful are related to tech, games, film/TV, and content with established brands (I’m looking at you, Reading Rainbow). This is just a bunch of books – and the funding goal ain’t that high – so I wanted to keep the focus on close friends, industry peers, and hardcore fans of my previous work with this more personal approach.
Now…if the series takes off, and there’s a rabid audience eager to fund the launch of a full blown transmedia experience of the narrative world? Then you’ll see Shadowland on Kickstarter in a big way. Count on it.