Posts tagged ‘thriller’
September 23, 2014
(By Brooke Burgess)
So…it seems that a book has been written.
Awesome. Strike one off the bucket list. :D
But this is only the beginning – just the first in a five-volume children’s contemporary fantasy/mystery/adventure epic – and I need your help to keep this particular ball of cat-loving string rolling.
I’m about to start Book 2 in earnest (title to be revealed early 2015). The plot’s been in stone for some time now, the chapters are outlined, and the prologue is already written*!
But Book 1 in The Shadowland Saga— The Cat’s Maw — needs to leave its firm paw-print in the literary world in order to get more young readers, scary mystery lovers, and feline fanatics clamouring for what comes next.
Here’s what you can do to put some catnip in this old kitty’s bowl:
- BUY IT: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500971650 the print version — complete with the new cover embedded above, more than 20 original illustrations, and an exclusive BOOK 2 sneak-peek – is available now in Amazon’s North American shops, and will be up in European ones early October. Expect the Kindle, iBooks, and other E-versions before Hallowe’en — I’ll be sure to list them all here!.
- REVIEW IT: if you really, really want to help Billy and his feline friends? Then write a gushing, heartfelt, and passionate review! You don’t have to buy the book if you can’t afford it. If you make a good case and promise a timely review on multiple sites? Then I will send you a PDF version of the final. That’s right — just commit to posting some kind words on AMAZON, Goodreads, your blog or Tumblr, on Pinterest or on Facebook…heck, even with graffiti. Word of mouth is the single BEST way for people to discover things, and you were all the FIRST to experience this story.
- REQUEST IT: Ask your local bookstore, library, or specialty shop to carry The Cat’s Maw. It will appear on major distributor lists (Ingrams, etc) soon, and that’s how the literary gatekeepers find what to buy. The more you ask for it (ANYWHERE in the world), the faster folks can experience the story the way it was meant to experienced…curled up under a thick blanket with a cup of cocoa on a blustery autumn night.
- FAN IT: Want to take things a step further? Then get involved! Why not make a fan page if you’re inspired? Or create some original artwork? Or do your own audiobook recording! Wanna hold readings at your school or library, screen the trailer, and have discussion groups? Go for it! Try to solve the mysteries of The Shadowland together…and maybe you’ll be rewarded for your efforts when a contest or two arrives to test you in the future.
And please, please, PLEASE — don’t be shy. If you have ANY questions or comments, feel free to get in touch — that’s what the magic of the Interwebs is for!
FYI: I’ll be following up soon with a beefy article featuring many of the things I discovered were part of the process after the book was written. It’s boggling. Speaking with other self-published authors, I was both surprised and a little dismayed by how unprepared most writers were when it came to having a savvy marketing, promotional, and press strategy in place for their books by the time launch week came around. So maybe, just maybe, you can learn from our mistakes ;-)
More soon from the Shadowland, dear friends — thanks in advance for anything you can do to help.
With continued warmth and respect,
TIMELINE: Current – 2020
PLATFORM: Print / eBooks / Transmedia
GENRE: MG – YA Fantasy/Mystery/Horror
A BOY. A CAT. A NIGHTMARE IN TWO WORLDS!!!
In the sleepy town of Appleton, a young loner follows a cat onto the road and is struck by a car. A leg is shattered, a summer is ruined, and the troubled life of Billy Brahm goes from bad…to cursed. When the mysterious cat appears at his bedside, Billy is haunted by strange and prophetic dreams — the creatures in them speak of Watchers, and Shadows, and the Enemy that Awakens. Does this impossible realm hold the key to healing the broken boy? Is the golden-eyed cat there to help him…or to make the nightmares come true? Too frightened to share the truth with his strict adoptive parents, Billy realizes that the only ones he can turn to are the local vet’s daughter, the town’s ‘crazy cat lady’…and the mystical tiger from his dreams.
- VOLUME I (The Cat’s Maw) available in all major eBook shops NOW — deluxe paperback AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- ILLUSTRATIONS by Sara Machajewski, with design and layout support by James Curcio of Mythos Media.
- AUDIOBOOK narrated by DAVID KAYE (Transformers, Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver) with Tobias Tinker (Broken Saints) available Christmas 2015.
- FREE CHAPTERS available for a limited time on WATTPAD — over 300K reads and going strong!
TIMELINE: AVAILABLE NOW!
PLATFORM: Graphic Novel (96 pages)
GENRE: Psychological Thriller / Horror
CLIENT: In-House IP / Arcana Comics
Featuring the pencil and inking talents of hot newcomer Dane Cypel, the rich colour palette of Sara Machajewski, and based on an original concept by rising genre star Curry Hitchborn, BECOMING is my return to graphic novel storytelling after completing the original version of Broken Saints in 2003!
- Digital Edition on COMIXOLOGY (in 3 parts with custom covers!)
- Print Edition on AMAZON.com (also visit my Amazon Author page!)
- PRESS RELEASE (and 5-page Preview!)
When a troubled student at a remote university challenges his professor to share his ‘secret knowledge’, he is drawn into a horrifying game of life and death. To play, he will learn that the only rule is PAIN, and that the only key to salvation is the desire to KNOW…and the WILL to overcome.
(*trailer features original music by yours truly and Tobias Tinker – cut and conceived by BB)
August 30, 2012
It feels like I’ve been teasing this project forever…
And, if you’re the impatient (and tablet-toting) type, snag Act 1 from COMIXOLOGY! They’ll be releasing the follow up parts in Sept and Oct before the official print release later in November.
Special thanks to Saintly maestro Tobias Tinker for the chilling trailer tune, which we hammered out together in his family’s idyllic country home last month. As a result, I’m seriously craving more quality collaboration :D
July 9, 2012
If you’re one of the lucky ‘few’ (ie: 180,000 genre fans and professionals) making the pilgrimage to San Diego this week for Comic Con, be sure to drop by Booth # 2415 and scope out the advance release of my new graphic novel: BECOMING.
96 Pages. Two years in the making. And only 50 copies available!!!
After the big show, Arcana will be releasing the book digitally (for tablets and mobiles) in three acts between August and November, with print versions hitting Amazon and major retailers before Thanksgiving. So be sure to watch this space for the latest scoops, interviews, and reviews from around the WWW, and spread the good word :)